The Patrick administration early Friday evening announced a five-year health care deal with the federal government worth $41.4 billion, which will succeed a three-year $26.75 billion waiver agreement that expired June 30.
In response to an afternoon inquiry from the News Service about a deal being reached, administration officials after 6:30 p.m. Friday confirmed that the so-called 1115 demonstration waiver deal had been struck with the Obama administration on Thursday night.
“Massachusetts has proven itself a national leader in health care reform with our success in extending coverage to nearly all residents of the Commonwealth,” Gov. Deval Patrick said in a statement. “This new agreement will help us build on our success while also spearheading innovative cost-containment efforts across the state. We are thankful for the support of the Obama Administration, the Massachusetts Congressional Delegation, and our partners for sharing our commitment to health care reform.”
The overall deal represents about $640 million less per year compared to the most recent waiver, but two top Patrick administration officials during a conference call ticked through a long list of areas where they said support from the federal government, both in financial terms and with regard to key health care cost containment, payment, and care delivery reforms, would increase in the coming years.
“We’re incredibly excited about support for the Commonwealth of over $41 billion over the next five years,” said Health and Human Service Secretary John Polanowicz.